The Bristol-Oporto Foundation
The Foundation awards small grants to schools, youth, art and sports groups, etc., to enable projects to be undertaken on a Portuguese theme.
In partnership with NatWest Bank, and annual EDUCATIONAL grant is awarded to a local school to undertake a project. This has led to an impressive range of imaginative and creative displays.
- £300 NatWest Award for Cleve House School for a Portugal project with year 5/6 pupils
- £350 grant for Katie Harwood, Bristol University student in Porto from this (2017) September
- £250 participation in 24hrs in Bristol by Miguel machado Rocha
- £250 participation in 24hrs in Bristol by Sarah Diamond Vale
- £300 support of a Bedminster school/Scout group taking part in a Christams Lantern Parade. This will also feature our Barco Rabelo model. There will be fireworks on Sat 9th December at about 6:00pm.
A Foundation grant supported a visit by a theatre group from Oporto some years ago who gave a public performance and workshops. This certainly raised the bar and has since encouraged several projects by both groups and individuals in drama, musical, art and photographic projects.
Community Choirs, Cathedral choirs as well as the black cloaked Oporto University TUNA students well known for ‘singing for their supper’ have taken part in musical events.
The NatWest Education Award scheme has meant we are able to continue to offer schools grants to take part in projects connected to Portugal and our twin city. Schoolchildren who may not otherwise have had such an opportunity have benefitted greatly and it has provided memorable experiences for all those involved.